Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:14:33 -0600
From:      blaine <blaine@denverweb.net>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
Cc:        "Gooderum, Mark" <mark@JUMPWEB.COM>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nuking "unsafe" protocols (was Re: Upcoming rc.conf changes not  loading certain currently loaded daemons)

Bill Fumerola wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 03:54:26PM -0600, blaine wrote:
>
> > Umm,  why not just use openbsd if security is the primary concern?
>
> Because no operating system overcomes stupidity.

True, but you have to do something insecure _on purpose_  ....    out of
the box,  OpenBSD pretty tight, and you have to open services
knowingly.    FreeBSD is less secure as a default, and you have to work
to close services down.  I am sure that with little effort FreeBSD could
be made more secure by default.
In todays world, that is not really a bad thing.   Perhaps an install
option where you can choose the security model you want.

Of course, the real difference between genius and stupidity is, Genius
has it's limits.  :-P

Cheers,

Blaine