Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:38:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      NGH <bsd_appliance@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AOL in Negotiations to Buy Red Hat

--- Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org> wrote:
> If AOL wants to get away from Microsoft, they should probably
> consider moving away from Microsoft's Internet Explorer to their
> own Netscape / Mozilla as a first step...

I think AOL shouldn't buy Red Hat. Instead, the two companies should
make a strategic alliance. Red Hat might include a native Linux
version of AOL's client software. This would make "Linux" a real
option for gajillions of AOL users out there, and would give Red Hat
a big marketing advantage. (Linux. So easy to use, no wonder it's
number one. Convince enough people, and it'll become true.)

Similarly, Red Hat should make strategic alliances with every company
that produces alternatives to Microsoft's products. RealPlayer, for
instance. Or the Quicken/TurboTax people... you get the picture. Lots
of native "brand name" software for Linux would give the consumer an
option, and even give *BSD more of a desktop presence.

Not that I care what Red Hat does. Their distro is a big monstrocity
in my opinion, but then, most of them are. Linux is probably a good
kernel, seeing how there are enough mods out there to do just about
anything with it, but I'd much rather see a *BSD-style distro built
around Linux.

Oh well. I'm just yakking away.
-NGH