Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 22:32:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        marki@paradise.net.nz (Mark Ibell)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: telnet/tcp problems in 4.0-RELEASE]

As I recall, Mark Ibell wrote:
> It does appear to be a dns problem after all.  After renaming
> resolv.conf to resolv.conf.bak the problem is cured, although only
> hosts in the hosts file can be looked up.  The strange thing is that
> both the 'nslookup' & 'host' commands both appeared to retrieve the
> correct information from the dns server (for both forward and reverse
> lookups) on our network.

A week or two ago I posted about the circumstances in which host and
nslookup can give you misleading results, and a program to demonstrate
the fact.

It has to do with how /etc/host.conf can be set to override what DNS
servers will tell you, but host, dig and nslookup query the resolver
directly, not using the gethostbyname(3) call, as an application
would.

In your case, if "hosts" is in your /etc/host.conf ahead of "bind",
then you need to look for an entry in your /etc/hosts file that
would result in namespace overloading.

And, check my earlier mail in the archives...

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net