Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 1999 15:00:53 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Matlab 5.3

Sean O'Connell wrote:

> > A more structural approach is to install sh-utils-*.rpm, which includes
> > uname and to apply my uname patch. That way you don't have to edit scripts:
> >
> > scones% /compat/linux/bin/uname
> > Linux
> > scones% /usr/bin/uname
> > FreeBSD
>
> some of this is based on using 2.2.x with linux_lib-2.[4,5,6], not your
> more complete solution.  I haven't done a Matlab on FreeBSD in a while
> (I will be doing it shortly).

I see. You didn't made that clear though.

> > > *this is critical;  /bin/tar is hard coded into the tsetup and xsetup
> > > linux executables...grrr, this caused the majority of my troubles*
> >
> > Isn't this solved by installing tar-*.tpm?
>
> Perhaps.  I will have to try it shortly.  I will try to report back to
> the list.

That would be great. Such information would be helpful in determining what
has to go into the base port.

> > > 6) while you have these tar files unpacked, there is one more little hack that
> > >    has to get put in in the osversion check business:  (sorry I don't have
> > >    a diff convenient)
> >
> > Does it actually expects a version like x.y.z?
>
> Yes.  I realized after sending the note that it may in fact be looking
> for a more recent variant than I was fibbing to it (again, I will know
> shortly).  It is an attempt to sanity check for certain Linux kernel/
> libc support.

Bollocks. I had the idea of putting something like "on FreeBSD" in the
version data. That way Linux Netscape would report something like "Linux on
FreeBSD", so FreeBSD users won't complain that their browser says that it's
Linux and still have uname return "Linux" as the OS...

--
Marcel Moolenaar                                  mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases                     http://www.scc.nl/