Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:19:41 -0500
From:      Keith Mitchell <kmitch@guru.org>
To:        "Douglas K. Rand" <rand@meridian-enviro.com>
Cc:        Shaun Dwyer <shaun@crystal.com.au>, Lanny Baron <lnb@FreeBSDsystems.com>, Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>, "randall  s. ehren" <randall@ucsb.edu>, freebsd-hardware <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA problems (still)

Douglas K. Rand wrote:

>Shaun> Hi all...
>
>Hi!
>
>Shaun> I have a box with 6 WD 80Gb BB series drives on a 3ware
>Shaun> Escalade raid controller doing raid 5. Every now and then a
>Shaun> drives seem to drop from the array for no reason. Its always a
>Shaun> different drive, on a different port. Mabye the later WD drives
>Shaun> have some issues.  Perhaps overly aggressive timing?
>
>We had very similiar problems with WD 100 GB (WD1000BB) disks on a
>3ware controller. We'd get this error for no apparent reason:
>
>   twe0: AEN: <twed0: drive timeout>
>
>It turns out that there is some bios incompatability between the 3ware
>controller and these WD disks. Once I found the right person at 3ware
>and described my problem, he said that its the disks. We switched to
>IBM disks and the problem went away.
>
>I have NO IDEA if the problem is the same on the WD800BB disks.

It sounds like it may be the same problem.  Apparently at least several
people have been having problems with the newer western digital drives.
 I just swapped mine out for a Maxtor and so far so good.  My system has
been up for three days without a problem.  Hopefully that switch will
get rid of that annoyance for me :-)

--
Keith Mitchell
Email: kmitch@guru.org				PGP key available upon request