Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:59:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: TCP Performance Graphs

:I don't think anyone's doubting the importance of larger windows; it's
:just that we can't do much increasing until they're dynamic.
:
:That being said, Matt did post a patch which implements socket buffer
:autoscaling a few months back.  I've been meaning to review it, but
:haven't had the time.  If you can give it some good testing and prove that
:it provides better performance in most cases (and hopefully no
:regressions), I suspect that might provide the momentum to get it
:looked at by more people and committed.
:
:Mike "Silby" Silbersack

    One of the things that came out of that conversation, however, was
    that it should be safe to increase the receive-side window, because
    programs typically drain the receive buffers the moment data comes
    in.

    So I think we can safely increase the dfeault net.inet.tcp.recvspace
    from 16384 to 32768 immediately.

    The transmit side requires more thought.   I did write that patch, and
    it does work, but it's too messy for my tastes.  I would personally
    much rather rewrite it to (A) fix the RTT stored in the route tables
    and (B) adjust the transmit window based on that, which is a much less
    sophisticated patch (and less messy), but ought to work quite well
    in regards to transmit buffer management.

    After I figure out this 80K/sec problem I'll revisit the transmit-side
    buffer limiting based on my new proposal above.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>