Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 05:27:16 -0600
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make world time???/

chuckr@glue.umd.edu wrote:

> Little bit more, please.... does the /usr/obj already exist?  Takes
> some time to actually make all those dirs, so that has to be taken into
> account either by destroying /usr/obj or specifying it exists, but that
> a make clean/cleandepend is done.

Steps made in my case are as follows:

cvsup -L 2 -g supfile.cvsup
cd /usr/src
cvs -q update -PAd
make cleandir && make -k world

So I started with a fresh tree and built everything.

> Do we leave placement of /usr/src and /usr/obj to the tester?  Faster
> on different disks, I think.

It is definitely seems faster from different disks.  I had /usr/src
on wd1 and /usr/obj symlinked to /tmp/obj on wd0.  I think the true
test (benchmark) should be all on one disk, since most machines that are
bought off the shelf only have one disk.

> How about mounting of /usr/obj?  Even if we don't force these things,
> we must say that they are free variables, so people know the conditions.

Both drives in my case were mounted synchronous.  I think this needs
to be the case since most newbies don't know about the async flag and
mount defaults to !async in the absense of flags.

So here's my vote for the benchmark standard:

/usr/src and /usr/obj on one disk with !async
CFLAGS=-O -pipe
make cleandir && make world

Or as Simon Shapiro pointed out, start with the lowest common
denominator, throw in some options, and see how much things
improve.

Just my two cents, Steve