Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:17:48 -0500
From:      compcent@mail.com
To:        compcent@mail.com, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   I would like to buy a Hewlett-Packard laptop (with Intel CPU) with BSD as an OS; AND...

Hello FreeBSD Hardware -=20

I would like to buy a Hewlett-Packard laptop (with Intel CPU) with BSD as=
 an OS; AND that is compatible=20
with a Verizon Air Card (USB port) for internet access. =20

Several years ago, I tried to install FreeBSD from downloaded discs onto=
 a PC.  Later, I bought=20
the FreeBSD 5.2.1 ? software, and tried to load in on a PC.  It booted, bu=
t didn't work. =20

Best Buy=E2=80=99s =E2=80=9CGeek Squad=E2=80=9D doesn't want to get involv=
ed with a FreeBSD install.  I will call Fry's.   =20

1.  If anyone is using FreeBSD on a HP / Intel laptop, what is the Model=
 No. of your HP laptop, and what version of BSD are you using?   I would=
 hope that there is a newer model that is still for sale. =20

2.  Better yet, - Who can configure an HP / Intel laptop w/ BSD for sale?=
  ( further discussion required... ) =20
     Would consider used / refurbished if dependable & the price is right.=
 =20

 - Compatible with Verizon Air Card preferred / required; AND needs Wi-Fi=
 =20
 - Prefer DVD player / CD-ROM burner=20
 - A couple of USB ports=20
 - Simple desktop / simple text menu ok=20
 - Web browser, prefer Opera=20
 - Word processor - prefer WordPerfect - 5.1 compatible , and/or newer WP;=
=20
     or, a BSD word processor with macros // Open Office as last resort =
  =20
 - GIMP for graphics, works for me=20
 - Optional - HTML Web editor - shareware or inexpensive=20
 - A (non-MS) DOS partition on the hard drive - optional=20
 - Restore / start-up disc, and an image-shot of the hard drive =20
 - Program to read / make .pdf files -  (One poster suggested alternative=
 to Adobe...??) =20
 - Basic speaker=20
 - Best virus / maleware protection (suggestions) =20
 - Laptop Owner's manual - optional=20

FYI - I live in Sacramento, CA USA area.  I expect to be in San Francisco,=
 - this Saturday, Jan 23, 2010. =20
Are there any good BSD techs / computer shops in the Sacramento area; or=
 in the SF Bay area? =20

** Thanks for any suggestions / info! =20

compcent@mail.com

 =3D =3D =3D =3D   =20

=3D