Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 95 10:39:50 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Minutes of the Thursday, April 13th core team meeting in Berkeley.

I'll keep this brief, in respect of the request for reduced mail load.

[ ... BSD in throes of second system syndrome (S^3)... ]

With respect, S^3 is something that students fall prey to.  You
might argue that companies do so as well; I susbmit that these
are not successful companies.

> If you've been a developer all those years and for all those
> companies as you say, then you KNOW exactly what's going on with
> the core team right now and you also know that you're about as
> able to stop it as you are able to stop the earth from rotating.

[ ... inevitability od S^3 ... ]

I disagree.  This is true of companies of 5 or less people -- ie:
companies without a release engineer.  Since it is the release
engineer's option to take any snapshot of a source tree and turn it
into a release, unless the RE him/herself falls prey to S^3, you
don't have a problem.  Any you hire RE's based on this job being
their third or later system.

[ ... involved in the classic errors ... ]

This misses my original point, which is these errors are violations
of the release protocol.  It is still not a flawed protocol that
puts people in a bad position, it's flawed enforcement of a good
protocol.  Models based on flawed protocol don't last long enough
for S^3 to set in.

> We're going pretty well, all things considered, and there are
> certain hoops we're just going to insist on jumping through, no
> matter how much we may know about them in advance!

The release engineer's job is to take before and after pictures
and use only the before pictures if it's a flaming hoop and he's
not really sure that the jumpers clothes aren't on fire yet.

I seriously suggest "The Mythical Man Month" and Guy Kawasaki's
"The Macintosh Way" (which has the full business plan in it).  I
suspect most of us are old and crusty enough that we've read these
once or twice already.

[ ... good suggestions going by without comment ... ]

Typically, these are common-sense statements, and there's no need
to comment.  All of us Monday morning quarterbacks 8^) manage by
exception, which is to say we try for course corrections only if
we see something wrong, and you don't stir otherwise.  This is a
practice that results in occasional criticism but little praise
(and Jordan himself does this occasionally 8-)).

Anyway, recognition of problems is the most important step to take
in solving them.  Good job, guys!

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---