Date:      Wed, 04 Mar 1998 20:12:35 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

In message <6135.889036423@critter.freebsd.dk>, Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
>In message <199803041708.LAA03872@home.dragondata.com>, Kevin Day writes:
>
>>Seriously, most of the bugs can be reproduced by having /usr/src over NFS,
>>and doing the following:
>>
>>cp /dev/zero /usr/src/blah &
>>make buildworld -j4
>
>I just did this on a laptop that happens to be here on a visit.
>only special thing here is that the laptop runs soft-updates...
>
>ALT-F2
>	mount phk:/usr/src /usr/src
>	cd /usr/src ; make world
>ALT-F1
>	cd /usr/src ; dd if=/dev/zero bs=32k of=foo
>
>and it hangs solid :-(
>
>I'll ponder the packet trace for a moment and see if I can
>figure something out.  The laptop is stoned and I can't get
>it into DDB :-(

I hate this kind of problem, I ran over the packet trace,
which btw was made on the NFS server.

At end of the crash the client (the laptop) has five outstanding
write requests which hasn't been answered or retransmitted, one
of which is the very first one.

Interestingly, the client issues a "commit" on the request it
still has outstanding about 1.4 second after it was sent, and
the commit is acked...

Now, running with "nfsiod -n 8" I can't seem to provoke the
hang, but dd will die saying that it wrote 641433600 bytes,
(3132 x 200k), but the file on my disk is only 5128192 bytes
(25*200k)

Man I wish I had time to look into this problem :-(

But it seems that raising the number of nfsiods may be a
workaround and lowering it will probably make the problem
even worse.

No panics though...

"Drink MONO-tonic, it goes down but it will NEVER come back up!"