Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 09:58:39 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq bought Digital :(.

On Tue, Jan 27, 1998 at 06:42:26AM -0800, Pedro Giffuni wrote:
> Ain't life a bitch ?
> Now Digital will be distributing " ...the greatest concentration of
> enterprise Windows NT products and lifecycle services available in the
> market today".
> Not a happy day for civilization :(.

Indeed. It would certainly appear that the Alpha will, unfortunately,
never see the mass market.. I'm sure they'll milk as many sales of Alpha
systems as they can out of customers until Merced "The Holy Chip"
arrives - but after that all bets are off..

I hate it when the best technologies loose.. I'm also curious to see
what will become of Digital UNIX, which has always been one of my
favorite of the commercial Unix's. Compaq appears to be very anti-UNIX,
and I really doubt they're going to want to continue to fund development
on what they see as a dead-product.. Sigh.

History will certainly show Robert Palmer as the man who tore apart
Digital piece by piece, and sold it to the highest bidder.. Oh well,
such is life I suppose. I was hoping it wouldn't happen, since they seemed
to be recovering of late....

-Mark

> ==
> ---
> FreeBSD: The Power to Serve ! http://www.FreeBSD.org

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code
Win95/NT - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.  -UGU