Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 23:03:35 +1100
From:      Andrew McRae <amcrae@cisco.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Console behaviour on current (3.0)

Comrades,
I sup'ed current a couple of days ago, updating my real old
source tree, rebuilt it, and after having some slight trouble
booting (not having installed the latest bootblocks), got
things running - the first thing I noticed was that after the kernel
booted, the console immediately gets garbage all over it. The
kernel boots OK, I can log in and run X, and it comes up OK, all
without the console being operational (you can see the garbage
changing as things get typed in, but there is nothing
recognisable on it).

Dmesg says:
Copyright (c) 1992-1997 FreeBSD Inc.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #0: Fri Mar 21 22:12:28 EST 1997
    amcrae@sporran:/usr/src/sys/compile/SPORRAN
CPU: Pentium (90.00-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x524  Stepping=4
  Features=0x1bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8>
real memory  = 33554432 (32768K bytes)
avail memory = 30629888 (29912K bytes)
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <Intel 82437FX PCI cache memory controller> rev 1 on pci0:0:0
chip1 <Intel 82371FB PCI-ISA bridge> rev 2 on pci0:7:0
chip2 <Intel 82371FB IDE interface> rev 2 on pci0:7:1
vga0 <VGA-compatible display device> rev 249 on pci0:17:0
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A

The video board is a Diamond Speedstar PCI with 2Meg of VRAM.

Any clues??

BTW the same thing happens with the boot & fixit floppy of the
3.0 snap taken recently - the boot code seems to run fine,
it's just the moment the kernel starts to execute this happens.

Cheers,
Andrew McRae (amcrae@cisco.com)