Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 1998 11:07:03 -0500
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Quintin Oliver" <quintin@smlt.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sysintall keeps dumping core :(

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998 07:34:52 +0100 (BST), Quintin Oliver wrote:

>I can change the memory in the machine, but I'm not sure why??

Because you want to troubleshoot the problem, and it's better to spend
your money on memory to troubleshoot it, rather than a dubious
diagnostic program.  But you are, of course, free to ignore my advice
8o)

>when I booted
>Quake on the machine it would fall over (dump core) - at first I thought
>it was lack of memory, I then ran Quake on a p100 with 16meg of RAM nearly
>half the specs of the previous machine, it run's Quake fine. Futher more,
>many of times Linux would kick the error 'ide0: reset' it only ever
>happened on this machine - there must be something wrong with it??

If changing the memory doesn't fix it, i'd disable the onboard ide and
put in another ide card, hey they're cheap.
I looked at your dmesg output and I didn't see any interrupt conflicts.
Pretty standard stuff there...