Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 18:59:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tyler McGeorge <millioncheese@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, steffen@vorrix.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Books

I, myself, asked the same question as the my first
activity on this mailing list. However, I had been
running  FreeBSD for 3 months prior to subscribing,
and I was still floundering. The best response I got
from my inquery about good books was that books tend
to become outdated and require constant updating of
one's library. Which is fine, because, I know I love
to sit down and read a book (even if it is a Unix
manual, my friends think I'm strange.) However, the
best sources for information are usually online. If
you have a question or problem, go to your favorite
online search engine and type in, "<problem> tutorial"
and it will usually come up with something useful.
Another good source is the wide variety of websites
devoted to FreeBSD, *BSD in general and *nix in
general. A favorite being www.freebsddiary.org. And
there is always FreeBSD-Questions mailing list.

I have bought two Unix books. My first one was the
Unix Bible (which was very detailed in Unix theory but
not very practical for learning how to do stuff) and
(I don't remember the exact name) The Unix Desktop
Guide, which is a book packed full of glossary terms,
scripting help and general usage of prompt. Neither of
these are nessesarily for FreeBSD. The Unix Bible
deals with FreeBSD and HP as their two primary
examples (the book comes packaged with Slackware
Linux, go figure.)

I've recently done some research on my next purchase
as far as Unix books go. I went to Amazon.com and was
looking for a book on socket programming in C in Unix.
I don't recall the exact name of the book, but it was
rated well at Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble.

In the FreeBSD community, almost everybody is willing
to help. In fact, I saw a guy walking down the street
with a FreeBSD t-shirt on (I haven't ordered mine yet,
unfortunately) and I started talking to him. It's a
brotherhood, I tells ya.

Tyler
> Steffen Vorrix wrote:
>
> Can someone tell me about good freebsd books to
buy.  I have been to
> the web site and read the freebsd handbook there.
That seems to be a
> very good source of information, but I find that I
can read material
> easier if I have the information bound in front of
me.  I also
> subscribe to a few mailing lists, but as a Windows
guy in a previous
> life, getting all of the subtleties of FreeBSD is
a little
> challenging.  I am interested in learing about
home and corporate
> use.  I have seen The Complete FreeBSD and The
FreeBSD Handbook, as
> well as The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide.
Does anyone own
> these, and are they any good?  The reviews of the
first two books tend
> be good, although both also tend to suggest the
books are dated.  I am
> sure that I can find plenty of information on the
web, but a good
> reference starter book available at the fingertips
would be a great