Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 1995 05:18:23 -0500
From:      starkhome!gene@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu (Gene Stark)
To:        Sherman F Mui <sparta.sjsu.edu!smui@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: floppy tape backup, how?

>> I guess I'm supposed to use dump to do these backups, but shouldn't this
>> thing work anyway?
>
>Hi, me again (yay),
>
>I tried dump, it paniced again:
>
>dump 0usfd 400 /dev/ft0 43690 /dev/sd0a
>
>And it locks up all of my input devices (mouse & keyboard), I didn't notice
>that before.

You aren't supposed to access /dev/ft0 directly, you are supposed to
use the "ft" program.  For example:

	dump 0usfd 400 - 43690 | ft

You will find the man page for "ft" helpful.  Also, you don't say what
version of FreeBSD you are using, but in 2.0R there is a bug that will
cause your system to crash if you try to open the ft device when it
has not probed the device properly.  Check to make sure that the ft
device is probing when the system boots up, and don't use it if it
doesn't.

A patch for this problem has been installed in FreeBSD-current, but
in -current the ft driver is disabled unless you put "flags 0x1" in
the fdc kernel config line.  This is supposedly to avoid spamming
peoples floppy disk drives until somebody figures out why that is
happening.

							- Gene Stark