Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 00:36:36 +0300
From:      "Petri Helenius" <pete@he.iki.fi>
To:        "Don Bowman" <don@sandvine.com>, <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ENOBUFS

> Clearly I will have some tuning ahead, and likely I will not succeed,
> but for sure my 1U XEON with 6 gigabit nics will work very hard
> for its living :)

Which NICs seem to work best here? I´ve been playing more with em
and it seems that the time spent in interrupts is quite high, I´m seeing
15-17% for 300Mbps on 2.4 Xeon. This number seems to stay the same whether
I´m running UP or SMP kernel with 4.7-STABLE.

Does "giant" in 4.X SMP context mean that the other CPU is idling while
the other is either servicing interrupts or running kernel code?

What would be the best course of action to implement optimizations
possible with later chips like 82546 to the em driver? Talk to Intel?

Pete