Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 22:09:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Allan Bowhill <bc587@scn.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.6 boot.flp won't negotiate PPP connection

Does anyone know the magic incantation to get the latest boot.flp
to negotiate a successful PPP connection?

I have tried using both 2.2.6 and the SNAP boot.flp to install
FreeBSD. Both will dial and connect just fine, but will just return
a "ppp ON sysname" a few seconds after entering packet mode. "sho lcp"
shows that it is in INIT state after the connection drops. I used the
default switches.

Just for kicks, I tried installing with the 2.2.5 boot.flp (defaults) and
it had no problem negotiating a good PPP connection right away.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work? (my thanks in advance)

-opinion detour-

I really like the one-disk install concept of FreeBSD, but I have never
been too happy with the PPP dialer. It's a nice concept that doesn't
work very well.

It would be nice if kernel-level PPP could be implemented on the install
disk instead. On Debian Linux 2.0, they are in the process of doing this,
and it's pretty impressive. They screwed up everything else, but the
PPP/modem/ftp install is worth taking a look at.