Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:56:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dan Swartzendruber <druber@mail.kersur.net>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quota panics

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Dan Swartzendruber wrote:
> > Depends on what the operation is.  If the admins can do setquota on
> > new or existing users with quotas on, it's much less of an issue
> > for me.
>
> Why would setquota not work when quotas are on?

I was told that might account for the panic I saw.  Granted I only saw
it after turning off quotas, turning them back on, and then doing a
bunch of setquota's...

> > Until fairly recently, quotas were useless for our web/mail servers,
> > since they didn't work properly for setuid programs.  This has been
> > fixed at some point in the last year or so (dunno exactly when, since
> > my PR was never specifically addressed).
>
> Interesting.  I do remember the PR.

Yeah.  It made quotas for /var/mail totally useless :(  Over the last
few months, we've migrated upward to 2.2.6-STABLE and then 2.2.7-STABLE,
and I took another look at the code and saw major changes, so I tried
re-enabling them, and it worked.