Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2006 11:03:33 -0300
From:      AT Matik <asstec@matik.com.br>
To:        William Anderle <William.Anderle@alice.it>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org, Mark Linimon <linimon@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kern/98162: [feature request] AcerHK driver port needed for enabling WiFi on Acer's laptops

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 10:07, William Anderle wrote:
> Hi, I still don't think it's a matter of Broadcom or Atheros.
> I've found this little HowTo from Gentoo Linux (not written by me!):
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Acer_Aspire_5024#WiFi
>
> Even with NDISWrapper and Broadcom card, acerhk / acer_acpi are always
> needed for enabling wireless hardware.
> At this point I guess our Acer Aspire 5024WLMi / 5020 are different :/
> Best regards

Dear friend
this is simply not true, neither Acer ever would build some specials only f=
or=20
me nor you need an adicional software in order to load a driver.

I think you try to catch up from the wrong side, instead of reading linux=20
how-tos you better should ndisgen your windows driver on your freebsd distr=
o,=20
kldload it, ifconfig it and then use it. Because that is the only thing you=
=20
have to do.=20

The only restriction: the LED do not light. I am very much sure that it doe=
s=20
NOT make any difference if using the broadcom or the atheros device, suppos=
ed=20
it works on FreeBSD. If your's do not work then you are doing something wro=
ng=20
or your wl-card is bad.

The linux acerHK thing is not a bad idea, I mean pressing the WL button and=
=20
the driver loads and connect *BUT* it does not work, least I have not seen =
it=20
yet.=20
So for me it does not make ANY sense to load a driver and then type a stupi=
d=20
echo cmd in order to get it work and switch the light on ... also you shoul=
d=20
agree aplying simple logic that the linux guys are much more clever than th=
is=20
and know how to load an ndis driver without need to type anything ... and o=
n=20
my FC4 it working exactly as I said and also again I see no reason why this=
=20
should be different on any other linux distro since the ndis_wrapper is=20
universal to any of them,

the only difference I got until today:

Windows and Linux: the WL button LED works

=46reeBSD : The WL button LED is dead.

but the WL Broadcom device works fine as supposed so on any of them.

I rechecked the thing you told that the WL Drv is disabled by default and t=
hat=20
it need the windows acer launch utility. That is not true.

You can uninstall the acer_laucnher and the WL device works absolutely norm=
al.
The only thing this launch app has is an option where you can disable the=20
automatic WL activation on boot and re-enable it. But anyway, if disabled o=
r=20
not you can enable the driver from your network connection screen whenever=
=20
you want supposed the wl drv is installed.

Jo=E3o