Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2006 09:07:13 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Scott T. Hildreth" <shildret@fbsd1.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/102474: linux_base-fc-4_8 appears broken, does not allow to run Linux binaries

Quoting "Scott T. Hildreth" <shildret@fbsd1.dyndns.org> (from Tue, 29 =20
Aug 2006 22:51:37 -0500):

> Well I am trying to follow the threads, I know I am missing something
> here.  To make sure I removed all linux packages.  I reinstalled, I do
> get this link created by the linux_base-fc4 or linuxpluginwrapper is
> creating it.
>
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  19 Aug 29 20:52  =20
> /usr/compat/linux/lib/libpthread.so.0 -> libpthread-2.3.6.so
>
> Then I can run acroread, but the browser plugins aren't working.
> The errors messages are,
>
> LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library  =20
> /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so [Shared objec
> t "libpthread.so.0" not found, required by "libflashplayer.so"]

If you're on 7-current: no chance to run linuxpluginwrapper ATM (work =20
is done to come up with some userland linux compatibility stuff: =20
"morphing linux objects to FreeBSD ones..." one could say, but it's =20
not finished yet AFAIK).

If you on anything else: your libmap.conf is out of date, please =20
compare with the example provided by linuxpluginwrapper =20
(/usr/local/share/example/???).

Background: Linuxpluginwrapper does not need any linux_base stuff. It =20
comes with some shims which wrap FreeBSD native lib calls to Linux =20
ones. The linux code is referencing libpthread.so.0 (and other libs) =20
and libmap.conf is mapping the libs to the glue code. The linux =20
plugins are calling the wrappers in the glue code and the glue code is =20
calling FreeBSD native code.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
There are three rules for writing a novel.
Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
=09=09-- Maugham

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137