Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 13:39:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: my worldstone

> It will be nice if people with very fast systems and i/o subsystems to
> post their world stone. It has been alluded in the past that we have
> a bottle neck in the system we seem to hover around 100 minutes. For
> instance, Simon Shapiro posted in the past that increasing the i/o
> subsystem like by using a DPT couple with fast disks didn't seem
> to improve his relative world stone benchmark.

yy
As a point of reference:

My dual PII/333, two 10000 rpm 4G ultra wide scsi drives, each on their own
adaptec controller(/usr/src in one, and obj in the other), 256M Ram, and no
other tasks running still took around one hour 45 minutes to complete a make
buildworld -j4.

Is it just memory bandwidth we're hitting? Putting both directories one
drive slightly slowed things down.... Same with going to a UP kernel. But
nowhere near the differences it made on a similar dual P/200.

This system is my main 'work' machine, that isn't usually running fbsd. If
anyone has anything they want me to try on it, next time I load it up, let
me know.

Kevin