Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 09:53:11 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, marcel@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: possible simple install-info fix

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 02:08:55PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar 2000, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was looking into fixing the install-info problem, and wondered if the
> > solution is really as easy as it seems:
>
> 	Hmmm.... I had been thinking all along that the problem with
> install-info was that the system couldn't use the new binary. Are you
> saying here that installworld is trying to use the old version of
> install-info that is installed in the system? Please say it isn't so...

Yes, it is using the old binary.
There were plans (Marcel?) to commit an installation tools support into
src/Makefile.inc1, but it was postponed until 4.0-RELEASE is done.
This is now happened, and I expect Marcel committing his staff soon.

> 	If install-info is needed to do installworld, shouldn't it be
> considered a build tool, with all of the build platform/install platform
> gymnastics that implies?

install-info is already built as part of build-tools stage, but there are
two problems.  First, it is not currently used at the installworld stage,
which Marcel's patch fixes.  Second, less important (IMHO), is a cross
building issue.  Consider the case, when you want to build 4.0 alpha
world on 3.x i386 system, and then install it (world) on alpha running 3.x.
It was discussed about month ago on -current...

> 	FWIW, I agree that fixing this will significantly lower the bar
> for 3.x -> 4.0 upgrades.

Sure.

--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the