Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 01:50:50 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Marco van de Voort <marcov@stack.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: yamaha japan relationships anyone?

Marco van de Voort wrote:

> > They lost on a lower instance, but have just won on a higher instance
> > under the merit of "fair use", since they had no legal alternative to
> > obtain the specifications to the console (other than engaging in a
> > contract deemed unacceptable). Unfortunately, the link with the ruling
> > did not have the complete ruling for some reason. I don't know how the
> > trademark thing was ruled.
>
> Afaik, this story is illegal in Europe too. You may reverse engineer to create
> a substitute, but you may not distribute, let alone sell it (as a gamecreator
> will probably do)

Read again. It's not illegal, it's legal.

Reverse engineering is LEGAL in the US and most (all?) of Europe. That
had NOTHING to do with the case.

The case centered on the fact that _copies_ of the disassembled object
code had been made, to enable the reverse engineering.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"If you consider our help impolite, you should see the manager."