Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 23:13:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Denton <buff@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kernel build numbers and kernel-building methods

After all the recent chat following that heads-up about how to build a
world, I gave it a shot and rebuilt my system, gave the buildkernel and
installkernel a KERNEL=MYCROFT setting, and adjusted /boot/loader.conf so
it'd load /MYCROFT.  All went well, but I noticed that the kernel build
number reported by uname had changed.  It said "FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE #0,"
while the number had been above 0 before.  I rebuilt the system today and
it stayed at 0, but then I recompiled the kernel alone (the old way) and
now it says "FreeBSD 4.1-RC #6."

Does compiling a kernel with make buildkernel not increment this
number?  If not, shouldn't it?

Bill