Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 17:55:26 -0500
From:      Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
To:        Christian Jachmann <jachmann@gigabell.net>
Cc:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3.4-Stable crashes..(heavy diskio+networking)

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Christian Jachmann wrote:
[...]
: Yes,I rised it several weeks ago,
:
: root@newscore>netstat -m
: 569/1984 mbufs in use:
:         347 mbufs allocated to data
:         222 mbufs allocated to packet headers
: 214/714/26112 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
: 1676 Kbytes allocated to network (29% in use)
: 0 requests for memory denied
: 0 requests for memory delayed
: 0 calls to protocol drain routines
:
: looks not so bad, or ?
:
: But system still crashes.
:
: BYe
: --
: Christian Jachmann
: Gigabell AG - Technik
: ++49 69 17084-0

Looks good to me, though if you have expierenced high network bursts, that
could be blown over, I've blown 32k on 10Mbit under a heavy dos, which I
don't think would be out of the realm of possibility, it's my understanding
that news servers are heavy on the bandwidth, yes? Could also be a file
descriptor problem, though that seems less likely to me. Do you see a panic
or does it just reboot without that? Are you able to obtain a kernel dump
should a panic be the case?

Matt
--
Matt Heckaman [matt@arpa.mail.net|matt@relic.net] [Please do not send me]