Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 1999 23:33:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        toasty@home.dragondata.com (Kevin Day)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, patl@phoenix.volant.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB drivers

> The cost for running two production lines, extra fabs, and just the overhead
> of having more than one SKU isn't worth it for most manufacturers.

Going to FAB on an ASIC is ~$30k; if you intend any volume at all,
then you can afford an ASIC very easily.

> It also would cost us more to get a motherboard without them stuffing the
> USB port connector on it. The connector costs like $.15, but the costs for
> making a different run, different model number, etc, far exceed that, unless
> you're buying hundreds of thousands.

Right; if that's all you were diking out...

> So.. In some cases, if all you want is an ISA/PCI bridge, you're better off
> buying an ISA/PCI bridge that also has IDE, Floppy, Serial, Parallel, USB,
> and a bunch of other stuff, because everyone wants those features, so you
> can sneak in and buy a chip with high volume because it's cheap.

Right, but if you're looking at no PCI, no ISA, just USB, you could
easily use one of the chips they use in mice cameras, or whatever,
with a tiny amount of glue.  It shouldn't even take an ASIC at all
to make it go.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---