Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:13:29 +0100
From:      "Oliver Blasnik" <oliver.blasnik@nextra.de>
To:        "Tom Samplonius" <tom@sdf.com>, "Shawn Ramsey" <shawn@cpl.net>
Cc:        <sthaug@nethelp.no>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Typhoon?  (was: newsgroup server recommendation)

Hi there,

Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com> wrote:

>   Of course not!  Now that Solaris 8 is available for x86 for media costs
> only (about $75), there really is no real reason to consider Linux for
> running Typhoon.  Solaris has a much better thread implementation as well,
> which should really benefit Typhoon.

Ok, now absolutely off-topic *eg*:

You're correct, the Media is about 75$. But you do only get the licence for
private use - check that out. And Sol/x86 is really, really expensive, com-
pared to Sol/Sparc (ok, _then_ it's the hardware...).
Or have I missed something?

Btw, we are also planning to use Typhoon on Solaris, but on Sparc
Architecture. A nice Raid-Array (0+1) attached for Storage - and then using
compression, it's cheaper. My Lab-Setup showed me about 30% compression
all over a big8+binaries feed.

> Tom

Cu, Oliver
--
-- http://www.nextra.de - INTERNET@WORK ----- oliver.blasnik@nextra.de --
 Nextra Deutschland     | Oliver Blasnik      Senior System Administrator