Date:      Fri, 27 Nov 1998 13:31:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        mjabbur@microtecvision.com.br (Marlon Jabbur)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3c905B - PLEASE HELP

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Marlon Jabbur
had to walk into mine and say:

> Hi,
>
> 	I'm using a 30.19981117-SNAP and i have a 3c905B Nic, when i s3et this
> nic in promiscuous mode , i lose my net, i can't send and receive
> anything , any idea ???????
>

> I need desperately to put this working. PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!

First of all, calm the hell down.

Second, you need to provide more information. Like, for example,
how are you putting the interface into promiscuous mode? With
tcpdump? With your own program? If so, can you show us the code?
Some other utility? If so, which one? If you're not using tcpdump,
then what happens if you do try tcpdump? Does it work?

Why are you trying to run the interface in promiscuous mode? How did
you come to the conclusion that the interface stopped working when you
set it to promiscuous mode? What happens when you change it back?

Are you using 10Mbps or 100Mbps? Full or half duplex? Show us the
dmesg output from where the kernel probes the card. Do you see any
error messages when the card stops working? If so, show them to us.
Does netstat -in show any errors? What does ifconfig xl0 say?

Don't say "I forgot." Don't say "I'll have to try again later when
I have time." Don't paraphrase error messages: quote them exactly.

Breathe.

-Bill