Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:49:11 +0200
From:      Nomad <mailman@crypton.pl>
To:        Todor Genov <ukj@unix.za.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Password encoding

O, that's nice: I haven't knew about that.Since I do like Blowfish I thought that there are only 2 possibilities in Free: crypto or md5.
 But the main problem is that passwd_format in my login.conf for default user (and new users were appended to that class) is and was "md5". But password encoding for new accounts was "des".
When I added line "auth_default=md5" and changed passwords for those accounts by passwd then encoding format changed to md5.
So: _without my knowledge_ passwords for new accounts were 8 characters long.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 10:04:37AM +0200, Todor Genov wrote:
> > You're going to want to do 2 things.  First, make sure that you have your
> > passwd_format=md5 in your /etc/login.conf (be sure to run cap_mkdb
> > /etc/login.conf after you do so).
>
> FreeBSD has had support for blowfish passwords for quite some time now. Just
> specify passwd_format=blf in login.conf.

Nomad

[%% If you dance with devil %%]
[%% you don't changing him. %%]
[%% The devil is the one    %%]