Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 21:44:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        David J Meltzer <davem+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ethernet packet sniffer.

On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, David J Meltzer wrote:

> Excerpts from internet.computing.freebsd-questions: 18-Jan-96 Re:
> ethernet packet sniffer. by marino.ladavac@aut.alcat
> > > Mike, I'm not saying it would be practical, but if her networking
> > > department happens to have a Time Domain Reflectometer, which is common
> > > communications equipment for high speed cables (many cable companies have
> > > one) then every tap can be detected.  A TDR would spot everything, even
> > > unused BNC taps.
> >
> > So would a Frequency Domain Reflectometer.
> >

> Is this for a connection made/not made, or can it actually determine if
> a ethernet card on the network is being run in promiscuous mode or not, which
> I think was the original question (and if so, could someone explain how)?

No, it only would reveal physical connections,  Mike Smith was right
about what he said, there isn't any way to detect a receiver.  This would
only detect extra cable taps that a network administrator didn't know
about.  And it wouldn't reveal what those taps were doing, either, just
that they existed.

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu -- I run FreeBSD on n3lxx and Journey2
The Dilbert Zone is Dilbert's new WWW home! The area
features never-before-seen original sketches of Dilbert, a photo tour
of Scott Adams' studio, Dilbert Trivia and memorabilia, high
school photos and much more!:
<URL:http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/>;