Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 01:19:23 -0500
From:      Ted Betzler <tedb@mac.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP & AT&T

Hello, I just installed 2.3-Release on a P233 with a 3Com 56K PCI modem
(one of the few non-winmodems - I think :-) -- it the one that only
shows up on cuaa5).  I configured PPP according to the guidelines on
your website (the Pendantic PPP Primer).  After playing with PPP, Natd,
ipfw, and a few other things, I determined that my IP packets were
getting sucked into a black hole, somewhere between the point where
ifconfig detects the local IP address, and AT&T.  Anyway, I have seen
other people who have this problem on mailing lists, but I have not
found the solution.  I know AT&T uses CHAP for authentication, but I was
under the impression that 2.3 was compatible with this, especially when
you specify it (accept chap in ppp.conf).  Upon connecting (I sent the
PPP messages to ttyv7 (using syslog.conf), so I could watch it), AT&T
and my system negotiate IP addresses, and then an ifconfig -tun0 shows
the correct ip addresses, both for me and him.  On the other hand, ping,
lynx, netstat -r, ftp, nslookup, all hang, as if their packets were
getting sucked into a black hole.  They don't timeout or anything, they
just hang, until I ctrl-c them.  To make matters even more complicated,
I tried it with my Mac OS X machine, and everything worked fine,
including natd.  Which speaking of natd, that's how I had to install
Free-BSD on the P233, over my OS X box's natd link.  I could not even
get a PPP connection with the installer!  I even tried re-downloading it
and creating the disks on a different OS (Windows the first time, Mac OS
X the second).  I am pretty sure it's just something funky about AT&T,
but I was wondering if anyone has found the fix.

Thanks,
Ted Betzler
tedb@mac.com