Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 23:12:03 -0400
From:      "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plugin? (Re: Complaining at Warner Brothers? )

   Date: Sun, 15 Jun 1997 22:20:15 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Tim Vanderhoek <tim@X2296>

   Heh.  Kernel compiles may be fun, but are they really so fun that
   you would want to recompile your kernel everytime you changed one
   of your shell scripts?  :)  Didn't think so.  :)

No.  I wouldn't want to recompile the kernel to change a shell script.

OTOH, a lot of the things I actually might want to change in my
kernel can't be changed by just adding a new loadable module.
I wrote an ugly hack on Thursday that allows me to hit
alt-leftarrow, and after that, all of my keystrokes on my console
appear to have come from the terminal on teh serial port rather
than the console.  I hit alt-leftarrow to switch back.  The
complete diffs for the Linux kernel are under a hundred lines.
Admittedly, you can't use anything other than ttyS3 for your
dumb terminal, and there is a minor problem that the kernel
can't recongize alt-leftarrow when I'm in X, but other than
that it works fine.

The Linux kernel also happens to support loadable modules,
but I don't know how to write a loadable module which does
this.

And I think the same situation exists with plugins for web
browsers.

Can people show me three examples of actual plugins for
which the source is distributed?  Plugins which I would
actually want to use?

Until then, I don't see any substantial benefit that the free
(as in freedom) software community will get from me supporting
plugins.