Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 09:24:45 -0500
From:      "Inksetter, Derek" <Derek.Inksetter@mchugh.com>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>, "'stable@freebsd.org'" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem burning on HP CD-R (stable)

I'm running 3.1-STABLE (actually, it looks like it's up to 3.2-BETA
now), and have an HP 6020 CD-R burner attached to an Adaptec 2940U.
I've used this machine (running various incarnations of -STABLE) to
burn CDs for more than a year with no trouble.

I recently upgraded to -STABLE from 2.2.8, and (apparently) got
everything to work.   This is the only problem.

Shortly after boot-up, I get this on the console:
> /kernel: cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
> /kernel: cd0: <HP CD-Writer 6020 1.07> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> /kernel: cd0: 3.300MB/s transfers
> /kernel: cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Logical unit
not ready, cause not reportable

After that, I can burn one CD with no trouble. After that, I get the
following errors:

> sputnik# cdrecord speed=2 dev=4,0 myimage $fname
> Cdrecord release 1.8a20 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jvrg Schilling
> scsidev: '4,0'
> scsibus: 0 target: 4 lun: 0
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 2
> Response Format: 2
> Capabilities   :
> Vendor_info    : 'HP      '
> Identifikation : 'CD-Writer 6020  '
> Revision       : '1.07'
> Device seems to be: Philips CDD-2600.
> Using driver for Philips CDD-522 (philips_cdd522).
> Driver flags   :
> cdrecord: Input/output error. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd: retryable
> error
> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
> CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
> Sense Bytes: F0 00 02 80 00 00 3E 0A 00 00 00 00 3A 00 00 00 00 00
> Sense Key: 0x2 Not Ready, Segment 0
> Sense Code: 0x3A Qual 0x00 (medium not present) Fru 0x0
> Sense flags: Blk -2147483586 (valid)
> cdrecord: No disk / Wrong disk!

The drive can be used to mount CD-ROMs just fine.  It just fails to
write any after the first.  The situation can be fixed (at least for
one disc) by rebooting, which is not the optimal solution.

OOPS...I just tried something again.  It looks like the drive works for
writing
after mounting and umounting a valid CD.  Nothing else seems to get it back
into
gear, though.

Any ideas?

Derek