Date:      Sat, 09 Aug 2003 03:03:19 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        zivofreebsd@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: how to install samba and windows xp ?

On 8, august 2003 Zivo Ki <zivofreebsd@yahoo.com> wrote:
(some formatting applied...)

>I have to many questions because Im a complete newbie, I have done
>this with windows 2000 server with none problem, but I didnt have the
>licence so I got rid of windows server and Installed freebsd instead,
>because I want to learn it: )

Congratulations! Once you learn it, you'll be much more satisfied with it...

>I have a freebsd box and I want to share folders with all the windows xp
>boxes (5 pc's),  the windows machine has a worgroup named officewinxp
>and also i want to install apache, and the most dificult part I want to
>share
>a cable modem conection for the internet .
>
>All this, is it posible ?
>
>I installed the default package of apache, and samba but it didnt worked,
>and also i cant share my internet conection. I have to change my mac
>address in the freebsd box (because that mac restriction with my cable
>company)
>
>(i tryed with ifconfig and it worked but I think the system is not
>configurated
>to share the internet)
>
>So if someone have the patience to help me please I would be so happy
>
>Thanks Zivo Ki

About running apache and sharing the internet connection, I know from
experience this works. (I see no reason why samba shouldn't work...)

Apache worked for me without any configuration. Connecting to
http://127.0.0.1/ showed a default (error) page included with apache. If
you're having problems with the config file, the 'apachectl' command is
very useful in finding errors/manipulating the daemon. ('apachectl -h' for
more information.)

Sharing the internet connection was a little more difficult, but not
impossible.
For me, NATD was the answer. All that really needed to be done was to add
some lines to /etc/rc.conf and the kernel. See
http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-natd.html
for a full explanation.

Samba can be complicated, but, again, is not impossible. The documents in
/usr/local/share/doc/samba should answer any questions you might have.
'man smb.conf' is also very useful.

You'll note that most of my reply here gives no definite answer; you'll have
write to freebsd-questions for technical advice. -newbies is more for
chatting,
relating experiences, sharing resources, etc., so I try to limit any
to pointing out any documents I know of and the proper list.

A few last words of advice before you write -questions. First, (this is
their rule)
try to limit your lines to less than 80 characters, so crappy mail clients
will break
lines right. Second, you might want to limit specific emails to specific
problems,
and include more information. (ie. write a single mail about apache and
include
specifics about what problem you're having; all I really know from the above
email
is that you can't get them to work.)

Well, I wish you good luck. I see no reason that you shouldn't be able to do
what
you want do.

Peace,
Clayton

PS. If you want to try sticking to your natural language, you might try
http://www.FreeBSD.org/support.html#mailing-list to see if there is already
lists in
your language. (Your English isn't really bad; I understood...)