Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2001 15:15:43 -0700
From:      Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>
To:        freebsd_mail@yahoo.com, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        key@cips.nokia.COM
Subject:   Re: Hibernation on FreeBSD

I got the win98SE Dual-Boot machine after lunch today.  Slapped it's
disk in my T21 and it hibernated from FreeBSD just fine, so BIOS is
not an issue.  The hibernate file for the Win98Se is Save2dsk.bin,
a hidden file.  Tried copying that into place on my Win2K(FAT32)
Dual-boot system and then rebooted into FreeBSD.

By the way, I was wrong about the beep.  I keep sound off on my laptop
by default (I can't stand the friggin' Windows startup music).  Turning
sound back on, I hear what I guess is a sad beep.  Sorry for the incorrect
information earlier.

Anyways, I'm getting used to the suspend and 4.x boots past the ATAPI
CDROM so much faster than 3.x and previous that reboots are not
as painful, so the hibernate isn't a huge loss for me.

Thanks for the help and ideas,
K^2

> Interesting ideas, but it'll be a while before I can try it.
> Work getting in the way.  I have limited access to the other
> machine (and very limited time). I like the idea of copying the
> PM_HIBER.BIN, though.  The machine is identical to mine WRT Memory.
> I set up my Win2K partition as FAT32 rather than NTFS with a plan of
> using Hibernation.  I learned the hard way about Hibernation not
> liking NTFS with an NT v4.0 dual-boot TP600X :-)
>
> Regards,
> K^2
>
> > What happens if you switch the hard drives between the two T21's?  [OK,
> > I know they are work machines and maybe you shouldn't do that :)]  This
> > would be a nice test to perform, to isolate BIOS from Win2K bootstrap.
> > (Alternatively, the ThinkPad configuration tool can verify that the
> > BIOS versions are the same on the two machines I guess.)
> >
> > Is it possible that the OS error was due to not enough files being
> > copied over?  Or maybe the two schemes use the same file name, and this
> > could be overcome by booting with a Win98 formatted bootable floppy,
> > from which I sometimes run ps2.  The hibernation file on my Win95
> > machine is C:\PM_HIBER.BIN.  If the file names are different between
> > Win98 and Win2K, but the machines are the same in every other respect,
> > you could try copying the hibernation file from the Win98 machine to
> > the Win2K machine.  If the BIOS is the same then it shouldn't care at
> > that point that the OS installed into the FAT32 partition is Win2K.
> >
> > I wonder also if the Win2K problem could be solved by putting in a
> > FAT/FAT32 DOS partition in front of the Win2K partition, putting a
> > hibernate file on the new partition, then hiding it so Win2K doesn't
> > relabel C: -> D: etc.  [OK ... again :)]  PartitionMagic should be able
> > to do this.  Since Win2K seems to be using its own bootstrap to resume
> > it shouldn't mind at all.
> >
> > >When I do a Win2K Hibernate, the OS is writing the hibernate file
> > >rather than the BIOS.  When I boot after a Win2K hibernate, I get
> > >the bootany F1/F2/F3/F4 prompts and can boot straight into FreeBSD.
> >
> > I'm jealous of that.  I consider it a great feature that one could
> > suspend the WinXX session, dual-boot into FreeBSD, then go back and
> > resume the WinXX session.
> >
> > Greg

Ken Key (key@cips.nokia.com, key@Network-Alchemy.com)
Nokia,  Clustered IP Solutions, Santa Cruz, CA