Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:28:48 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "stodolsk_REMOVE_THIS@pb.net" <stodolsk_REMOVE_THIS@pb.net>, "YepItzMe" <stodolsk_REMOVE_THIS@symbol.COM>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:17:11 -0400, YepItzMe wrote:

>Can anyone give a me (a prospective new user) some info on why FreeBSD
>is better than Linux?  I know little of both but would like to enter
>into this field with a OS I can grow with

I started out as a hardware tech in the US Navy working on (fixing)
mainframes.  As a hardware guy that has worked on mainframes, minis,
micros, supermicros, mini-supers, and damn near anything else you can
think of, let me tell you my opinion.

It didn't take long after graduating from Navy tech schools to begin
getting an attitude about programmers.  You see, when a computer
doesn't work as expected, most people kick it and say it's broke.
Programmers should know better, but their ego gets in the way of
rational thinking.

Let me tell you that when UNIX publications from Bell Labs should up on
a newsletter from one of the technical book clubs I belonged to, I
ordered them.  I have a great respect for UNIX/C programmers, and would
hire them for ANY project.  I wouldn't hire a Windows programmer to
write a DOS program. I wouldn't hire a DOS programmer to write a
Winblows program. If I were staffing a Winblows project (because a
customer insisted on a Winblows app) and I got a resume from a UNIX
programmer with 5 yrs experience and from a Winblows programmer with 5
yrs, I'd hire the UNIX programmer and let him learn Microsuk's APIs as
he went!!

I used/supported UNIX at several computer companies (Gould,Encore) and
a few non-computer companies.  I have always preferred BSD.  FreeBSD is
tops in my book.  I tried Linux a couple years ago, but I want REAL
BSD, and that's FreeBSD.

And most recent books about UNIX that describe BSD will be applicable.
The web site has a list, and you can scan the mail archives to find
lists I've submitted in the recent past (3 months).

Viva la FreeBSD

Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.