Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:54:11 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: editors question #2

On Tuesday, 25 January 2000 at 15:43:17 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> In Greg Lehey's book, he states that he feels emacs is easier to learn
> and more powerful than VI.  Obviously it is more powerful, but does
> anyone think it is also easier to learn?

I think it's easier to learn.

> It *seems* to me than it is easier to learn one- or two-letter
> commands than keystroke combinations, especially when it takes more
> than one combination.

I'm not sure I understand the difference.  If 'j' is a command and 'J'
is a command, one of them is a "keystroke combination".  Two letters
are also a keystroke combination, you just need to get them right.

The difference with Emacs is that you don't just use the shift key,
you also use the control and meta keys.  This may take a little
getting used to (especially if you're using the standard broken
keyboard layout that replaces control with CapsLock), but if you have
to repeat either a keystroke combination or a two letter command,
you'll soon realise how much easier the keystroke combination is.

>  Like i said, i don't want to start a war here, but i am a student
> and i want to develop solid skills with a good, powerful editor.
> Right now, i'm trying to decide between these two.  I know emacs is
> more powerful, but i also know that power comes with a price.

The biggest problem with Emacs is that you have to install it.  You
can't rely on it being there.

Greg