Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 11:20:41 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Overclocking AMD K6-'s and FreeBSD

Jim Freeze wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Joey Garcia wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > So out of the blue, I decided that I'll give
> > overclocking a try.  Why?  I don't know.  Just
> > because.
> >

> If you search the archive for this list, you will find that myself and
> several others have found that the only way to get a K6-2 to work is to
> UNDERclock it.
>
> My 450MHz is clocked at 400MHz and finally runs stable.
>
> It crashed daily at 450MHz.
>
> Good luck on overclocking a K6-2.

We've got a mess of about 30 servers all running AMD K62 500mhz CPU's
clocked at 500mhz, and have yet to have any single one of them crash. I
think maybe you're doing something wrong if you can't get the CPU to run
stable without underclocking it.
We've also got some AMD K62 350mhz boxes, and one or two 266mhz K62's as
well. None of them have given us any trouble yet.
	To tell you the truth, performance/stability of a K62 is far more
economical than the PII/PIII, at least it has been for us.

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com