Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 06:17:36 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        braukmann@tse-online.de (Andreas Braukmann)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: looking for a decent Soundcard

> Hello,
>
> I'm just thinking of stuffing a decent sound-card into my
> FreeBSD workstation and wondering which soundcard to choose.
> To make a long story short: I'm looking for a sound-card with decent
> quality of sound (and signals ...) supported by FreeBSD, the

not sure what do you mean by "signals" but if you want a cheap product
with decent quality go for the Crystal CS4237-based boards (e.g. AOpen
AW35). 16-bit full duplex and fully supported by my driver, it is great
for audioconferencing and listening music.
I have heard that they have very good drivers for Win95, no idea for NT.

Yamaha OPL-SA3 should also be good ones.

The OPTI931 (I see many of these boards here in italy) also works
and it's dirt cheap, but it's S/N ratio is very bad compared to the
above cards. Still, for their price, you probably don't care...

[this is in addition to Amancio's suggestion for a PCI card, which at
the moment is unsupported though, and I am not sure how easy are they
to find in europe]

	Cheers
	Luigi