Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 18:50:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, branson@longstreet.larc.nasa.gov, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux

> > There is no such thing as a fair, unbiased,
> > treatment of this area, which is often considered a nearly religous
> > issue, and treated with much fanatacism by some).
>
> Not to mention, the fanatics will just fix whatever you point at
> as bad in their product, or add whatever it is you say is good
> in their opponents product, and then flame you for being out of
> date.

	Terry,

	More power to the "fanatics!"

		If "fanatics" on both sides take the "good" from each
		other, and genuinely stamp out the "bad" then both
		sides will win.

	Obviously the real controversy lies in determining which features
	are "good" and which are "bad."  The real problem with your
	scenario is the assumption that the features and bugs are
	introduced solely by design.  I'd argue that some of the
	distinguishing features (and bugs) in each camp are due to the
	process rather than the design.

	Consider the FreeBSD development process (which you undoubtedly
	know far more about than I do):

		A fairly small number of people communicate fairly
		closely via e-mail.  The project shares a CVS tree.
		The stated objective is to produce a stable, state
		of the art derivative of the BSD Unix for the PC
		platform (pretty well-defined).  There is *one*
		"distribution."

	Consider the Linux model:

		A fairly large number of people dabble in development
		of a large number of different little projects.  These
		people occasionally communicate via a large number of
		mailing lists and newsgroups (with more action in Netnews
		than over ML channels).  One person (Linus Torvalds)
		maintains the main source tree -- which just covers the
		kernel.  Many people publish kernel patches (some of
		which are submitted to Linus).

		A couple of dozen individuals and groups combine this
		kernel (with whatever patches they like) and a large
		variety of ported applications and utilities into
		"distributions" (a uniquely Linux term).

		There is no single stated objective.  The most
		commonly cited goal among Linux hackers is to have
		a "fun" free OS with lots of "cool" features and apps
		to "play" with on their PC's. It's a very laissez-faire
		and anarchial group.

		Some people have suggested that Linus' work is more
		valuable as a "social experiment in anarchy" than
		it is as an OS.  I agree -- and I don't mean to
		denigrate the quality of Linux in any way by this.

	Because of these fundamental differences in attitude,
	objective and process it doesn't matter how much
	one group steals from another -- the two will remain
	distinct and unique.

	(Now one could argue that some group *within* the Linux
	community could attempt to adopt the FreeBSD model and
	apply it.  Some group might.  That wouldn't affect the
	overall state of Linux affairs -- it would basically be
	yet another Linux distribution (yald???))

	Overall I'd say the cross fertilization is good.

	I suspect that you'll see a lot more people who start
	with Linux and move to FreeBSD than vice-versa.

	Part
	of this is because of three shelves of Linux (not Unix --
	*Linux* books down at the local "Barnes and Noble" and
	at the "WaldenBooks" and "Dalton's" and other "mainstream"
	bookstores -- most of which have a pathetically out of date
	CD glued to the inside back cover.

	Part of it is because Linux is discussed widely in newsgroups.

	Part of it is even becuase Linux has problems and limitations
	that are unique to it (while most FreeBSD questions don't show
	up in "other" newsgroups because the behaviour is so similar to
	other BSD's).

	A good chunk of it is because, as Linus Torvalds himself said:
	"Linux has a cool name."

	But I think that most of it is simply because Linux users are
	more evangelical than FreeBSD'ers and NetBSD'ers.  Most Linux
	users are coming from DOS/Windows.  Anyone that likes Linux
	(after coming out of the "dark" as it were) is very likely
	to be talking to other "WinDOSers" (and anyone that doesn't
	like it will likely throw it away and forget about it --
	most of those users probably wouldn't like BSD any better).

	New FreeBSD users seem to come from two main sources:

		People who have been using RISC or SPARC workstations,
		or other non-PC platforms -- and then decide that they
		want to have something "like" their work environment
		on the machine at home or at their desk.

		People who've been using Linux and have gotten
		frustrated with something (or several somethings)
		that don't work "together" (that ugly "integration"
		problem again).

	(Note:  I'm not talking about new FreeBSD installations!
	 One FreeBSD user might convert a dozen installations
	 over in the course of a year and might install a dozen
	 more -- most of the "users" of these systems won't know
	 or care what OS is on the host (most of them will be
	 hitting it only as a webserver, a POP server, etc
	 by "FreeBSD users" I'm referring to enthusiasts rather than
	 entries in a passwd file).

	Anyway, I'm sure I've said more than enough about this.
	I may put a comparison page on my pages at starshine.org
	yet.  I'm saving copies of this mail thread for source if
	I do.

Jim Dennis,
System Administrator,
McAfee Associates