Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 12:11:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need your suggestions!

On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, mika ruohotie wrote:

> > Hi, I can not get more IP addresses from my upper ISP. But my users are growing
>
> could you announce this isp so that people might be able to avoid their services?

Don't be silly. Why would somebody in Finland sign up with an ISP in the
People's Republic of China?!?!

> > very fast. So, I am planning to move all my services into an inner network,
> > then setup a proxy host to go outside. Is that possible? Will it be very slow?
>
> i dont think it will be that sane sollution for a long time period,
> might work for a while, but eventually it'll blow up from some corner...

Don't be silly. The entire country of Israel runs all web traffic through
proxy servers. So does Singapore. Half of Australia is running with proxy
servers. The secret is in the CACHING. If you install a Squid caching
proxy then your users will get faster access to the net. Even if you have
a couple of T1's, a Squid proxy will still speed up a lot of the web
accesses. And you can configure it so that people can request a file with
ftp or http, then hang up the phone while Squid pulls in the file. Then
later on, they can dial in and request the same file and download it at
full modem speed. This is great if you pay per minute for local phone
calls.

> > Where can I get a better proxy software? Is there anyone do like that?
> > I am really not certain about this plan. I really need your suggestions!
>
> find another linking ISP, and in your case, i would call your ISP a IUP,
> internet UNservice providor.

Don't be silly! He can get Squid from http://www.nlanr.net/Squid
and if he other ISP's connected to his provider will also install Squid
then they can share each other's cache's.

> any sensible and worth-to-do-business-with ISP would assign more IP space
> if the customer can clearly show there _IS_ a need for those addresses.

To start with you have to show that all your addresses are properly
allocated. This is not easy for many people because they don't understand
CIDR, dynamic address allocation, IP subnet 0 and things like that. Most
ISP's would need to hire a consultant to justify more addresses with RIPE,
APNIC or ARIN.

> that is the way internet should work, and i'm sure from a request atleast
> i would be more than happy questioning the motives of your ISP if they
> really refuse to hand out the address space. i might be a little biased, but
> it seems to me there's too many ISPs out there who only want to make the
> profit...

Seems to me there are too many ISP's out there who only want to complain
about how things should be instead of understanding the large number of
options that are available in configuring a network.

Proxy caches work great. Pentium servers can handle the load easily. Speed
is related to RAM, so if the server is not fast enough, add more RAM and
tell Squid to use it. A hard drive of 2 - 4 gigabytes is plenty of room
for the second level cache.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com