Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:18:23 +0900
From:      Robert Hugh Force II <tiberius@yta.attmil.ne.jp>
To:        David De Silva <david@desilva.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Web resources

David,

    I asked the same question earlier this month.  My search for web sites
that support/discuss Beowulfing with FreeBSD has been fruitless up to this
point.

    I currently have a six mode network in my house that I will be
converting to FreeBSD 3.4 when my copy arrives early in the next century
;-)  (i.e., January 2000).  These are the computers my family and I use
for our daily activities: surfing the Web, school work, e-mail and similar
stuff.

    My plan is to setup a new segment with computers I will buy that
expressly for the purpose of setting up and running a Beowulf cluster.  I
am trying to get a copy of the Extreme Linux CD that describes how to
setup a Beowulf using Red Hat Linux v5.2.  I know this is an old version
of RH but I figure it is still useful information that can be used to
setup a Beowulf in general.  I have also been cruising the web for useful
sites and have listed some you may not have found.

http://www.inficad.com/~garbled/clusterit.html
ClusterIt - A collection of clustering tools, to turn your ordinary
everyday pile of
            UNIX workstations into a speedy parallel beast.

http://www.eros-os.org
EROS Operating System - The Extremely Reliable Operating System

http://www.hensa.ac.uk/parallel
Internet Parallel Computing Archive - A complete reference site about
everything
that concerns parallel computing.

http://www.acl.lanl.gov/~rminnich
Ron Minnich's page about metacomputing and clustering

http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/Research/rapid_sweb/SWEB.html
SWEB - Towards a Scalable World Wide Web Server on Multicomputers

    Hopefully a site devoted to Beowulfing with FreeBSD will soon be
available.  I am not sure why people don't seem to be using FreeBSD for
this task.  It's superior networking capabilities would seem to lend it
very well to such a task.

    Take care and I hope this has in some manner helped you.

            Bob "Use the" Force
            fMFG (former Main Frame Geek)