Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 19:31:11 +0200 (EET)
From:      Spyros Melissovas <peppe@charon.cs.uoi.gr>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ASUS P5S533-E (SiS 645) boot problem

Hello,

It's the first time I'm posting on this list, and I hope it is the right one
for the problem I'm experiencing.

I recently got a new PC at work, and unluckily it carries the ASUS P4S533-E
mainboard. The problem I have is that, when booting 4.7, it hangs at the
point it tries to discover the IDE devices.

My IDE configuration is quite simple:
40GB Seagate Baracuda IV (w/ 80wire cable)
Sony DDU1621 DVD-ROM drive
Sony CRX195E4 CD-RW drive

I found out by experimenting that the kernel hangs at the same point even
when I change the hard disk with a 20GB Seagate or a 10GB WDC, or when I
remove the CD-RW and DVD-ROM from the configuration.

I even tried updating the kernel source (by installing and booting on
another computer) and had the same results as of 30 Oct.

Off topic, I had the same results when trying to boot OpenBSD 3.1 and OS/2
with a quite recent IDE driver which supports the 645.

The machine came w/ windows98 preloaded and working fine and mandrake linux
8.1 boots and installs fine.

Any ideas would be very appreciated

thanks in advance

--