Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:24:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        "C. McArdle" <cmca@cmcardle.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & GNU

On 2001-03-23, C. McArdle scribbled:

# What is the connection / disconnection between GNU and BSD UNIX?

FreeBSD's core and parts of it's userland are placed under the BSD
license whereas the rest of the userland and most of the applications
found in the Ports collection are placed under the GNU Public License.

The GPL and the BSDL has always been a very heated argument, and
therefore I will not state which one I'm for or against... but I will
say that each has it's place and are better in different ways and from
different points of view.

--
Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]