Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2024 09:29:51 -0700
From:      Rick Macklem <rick.macklem@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new error messages after upgrade 14.0-p5 to 14.1-p1 amd64

On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 7:52=E2=80=AFAM void <void@f-m.fm> wrote:

> After upgrading, I noticed messages like these appearing during
> rebooting, immediately after kernel: NFS access cache time=3D60
>
> kernel: rpc.umntall: 10.1.1.102: MOUNTPROG: RPC: Port mapper failure - RP=
C: Timed out

> sometimes it appears twice, once it appeared five times. The system
> eventually completes booting and there are no more messages like this.
It indicates that mount_nfs is having trouble talking to rpcbind, but I do =
not
know why that would happen?

Do you have either of these lines in your /etc/rc.conf?
(Having either one of them should be sufficient to ensure rpcbind
is started before the mount is attempted.)

rpcbind_enable=3D"YES"
nfs_client_enable=3D"YES"

If you have at least one of these in your /etc/rc.conf, then all I can thin=
of is some sort of network/routing issue that interferes with rpcbind worki=
ng.
You can also look at the output of:
# rpcinfo
once it is booted, to see that rpcbind seems correctly configured.
It should be attached to tcp, tcp6, udp, udp6 and /var/run/rpcbind.sock.

rick