Date:      Wed, 01 Jul 1998 19:54:04 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Strong opinions, anyone?

On Tuesday, 30th June 1998, Richard Foulk wrote:

>The drive hides the retries by default.  It is possible to query the
>drive for the soft error count.  That's were you see the incredible
>redundancy of this design.

Hey, do you know how to do this query with FreeBSD?  We've got loads
of Exabyte drives around here and some are now on FreeBSD boxes.  Our
Solaris boxes let us know, real polite like, when the Exabytes are
dirty.  The FreeBSD boxes are writing blind.  If you don't clean your
Exabytes when they want to be, your backups (and drive life, I believe)
suffer.

Oh, and the only disk drive I recommend to anybody at the moment is the
IBM DCAS-34330UW, 4.3GB, quiet, cool running, fast enough for everything
I want, never heard of a failure.  A bargain.  I use a few at home.

Stephen.