Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 1996 22:31:06 +0900
From:      Hiroyuki Hanai <hanai@astec.co.jp>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On Japanese version of Handbook.

I wrote:
> > > We've discussed about the directory structure and now propose
> > > the following:
> > >
> > >    linuxdoc files --- /usr/src/share/doc/ja_JP.EUC/handbook/
> > >    HTML files     --- /usr/share/doc/ja_JP.EUC/handbook/
> >
> > There was talk about generating JIS instead of EUC for HTML in
> > which case ja_JP.EUC isn't technically correct for the
>
> Sorry, I've forgotten to write about it.
> Could you please wait a few days?

We discussed about above two-byte code problem and concluded that
we don't have to generate JIS for HTML because...

  1. Lynx can handle any code(JIS/EUC-JP/SJIS) and the probability
     of judgement is high.

  2. If Netscape Navigator misjudged the code of Japanese character,
     the user can specify the code with Option menu manually.

  3. We don't have the locale for JIS in the current FreeBSD system.
     Actually, there are many locales in /usr/share/locale for Japanese
     character such as ja, ja_JP, ... but these are all symbolically
     linked to ja_JP.EUC.

So, again, we propose the location of Japanese version of Handbook is:

    linuxdoc files --- /usr/src/share/doc/ja_JP.EUC/handbook/
    HTML files     --- /usr/share/doc/ja_JP.EUC/handbook/

Concerning another John's question:

> Also, there should be a selection mechanism for what languages to
> build/install.  Should english always be installed?  Should all
> languages installed or only those matching the LANG variable?
> What are the implications for building and packaging releases?
> (Yo! Jordan!)

and Jordan's

> I can also bring back a global installation LANG which can be used for
> selecting the default doc components, among other things, though it's
> always been those "other things" which we've never really seemed to
> zoom in on.  Do we want to keep maintaining a separate set of
> sysinstall docs in /usr/src/release/sysinstall/docs, for example?  If
> not, how should we replace them?  Do we want to internationalize
> sysinstall in general again, like we had with 2.1?  What about the
> Japanese and Chinese versions we have out there now, are the changes
> mergable or divergent?
>
> Everytime we get into this it seems that a lot more questions than
> answers are raised, which goes some way towards explaining the sorry
> state of I18N support today. :-) I'm willing to do my bit with the
> release engineering and sysinstall hacking, but I need a bit more
> direction from those who understand what "correct" I18N support is all
> about.  My own experience with I18N extends not much beyond using
> elementary message catalogs to generate simple prompts and
> informational messages, and I suspect that the challenges here before
> us here go considerably beyond that in scope.
>
> What do the "experts" say? :-)

Sorry, I'm not expert and don't have good idea.

Mr. Asami,
How do you think?

-----H.Hanai