Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:36:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Bob Boone <bboone@whro.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.0 Questions

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Bob Boone wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is the only FreeBSD list I receive, so I need to ask three
> questions.

  This is not the right list for 3.0 questions.

>  I just built a new webserver Thursday last, from boot.flp/2.2.7, only
> to find 3.0 released on Friday.
> (1) Do I need / how do I get a "boot.flp" that will build 3.0 instead of
> 2.2.7, so I can nuke the Thursday build and start over??

  Yes, the 3.0 boot disk is very different.  Every release has its own
boot disk.  2.2.8 will be the next release.

> (2)  Do I WANT to move to 3.0 -- is it stable/tested enough for the
> "brain trust" to feel comfortable with it for a low/moderate traffic
> webserver ??

  From what you indicating to me, definitely not.

> (3)  I'm rebuilding THIS server because I was nuked thru the mail/buffer
> overflow hack, but I'm reading that it isn't just popper... that several
> pop3 and imap servers will break, and that only sendmail 8.9.1 with the
> 1a patch will stop it....  CAN I ADD the sendmail 8.9.1 without breaking
> something else ??? are there dependencies in 8.9.1 that either 2.2.7 or
> 3.0 won't support ????

  It just is just qpopper and UW-imap.  Sendmail 8.9.1 has ways of
blocking out messages that exploit overrun bugs, but if you are still
running old qpopper and/or UW-imap, you are still going to get screwed.
The overrun protection in Sendmail is just a bandaid.

  You can install 8.9.1 on any version of FreeBSD version easily.

> Thanks,
>
> Bob Boone
> bboone@whro.org

Tom