Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 01:08:41 -0800
From:      "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@ecst.csuchico.edu>
To:        "Scott dodson" <gsi22419@gsaix2.cc.gasou.edu>, <stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <jdp@polstra.com>
Subject:   RE: Solution for distributing CVS server load?

Future versions of the cvsup client may want to borrow the technology that's
used in multi-player games, such as quake.

A central server, such as cvsup.freebsd.org, has a listener on it, that
provides the cvsup client with a list of public cvsup servers. The client
then performs an application level "ping", similar to the oracle tnsping,
where server load is also relayed to the client.

The client can then pick server based on closet server + closest available
server.

Unfortunately my knowledge of how cvsup works is rather limited, so I have
no idea if this is feasible to implement, or where to begin, to implement
this.

Sameer