Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 09:52:44 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 1 fs on 2 drives

On Tuesday,  2 February 1999 at  8:22:02 -0800, Wile Coyote wrote:
> Anyone know if it's possible to have a single filesystem on multiple
> drives or partitions... ie, only one inode structure.
>
> If there has been any discussion about this topic in this mailing list
> or elsewhere, please give me a few keywords to search for. Or, even
> better, if there are any books addressing this topic, don't hesitate to
> give me a title or two.

As others have said, vinum (or ccd, for legacy applications) does
this.  Apart from the man page, see http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html.

> Note: RAID only seems to be a means of backup which spans over multiple
> drives, but it doesn't seem to be able to support a single filesystem on
> multiple drives or partitions... correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong :-) RAID also spreads file systems over multiple disks.

You won't be able to reply to me from that address.  They're a mail
harvester.  That's why I also haven't replied to you directly.

Greg